22 Aug 2013

- - - Author Interview with Ruby Binns-Cagney - - -

Author Interview with Ruby Binns-Cagney





Where did you grow up, and how did this influence your writing?
I grew up in a small town in England. I lived near a library, and got into reading fiction books while attending college.
I enjoyed crime thrillers by Lawrence Block, James Patterson, and Patricia Cornwell, and it gave me an interest in Criminology and Psychology and I put it together from there.
After college I got interested in Forensic Science, and took my interests further into my book writing, which features crime scene investigations and forensic testing of evidence in homicides, based in New York City.

When did you first start writing?
I wrote my first fictional short story book on paper aged sixteen. I showed it to my classmates, and told them to look out for it to be published.
Of the friends who read the book, they all said it was fantastic.
It gave me a real confidence boost.
It wasn't until much later in life that I got around to being a self-published Author due to extensive travel and career plans.
I gained certification as a Life and Relationship Coach, and write relationship self-help books alongside fiction.

What's the story behind your latest book?
My latest new fiction book, "1-8-7 Homicide, New York," is an espionage-themed crime thriller featuring NYPD's Detective Sergeant Finkel Macaulay.
The challenge for Macaulay begins when she discovers her husband, FBI Supervisory Special Agent Nick Benson has kept a major secret from her, and it rocks their marriage. They're already trying to cope with Nick's Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and it's getting worse. His medication has stopped working, and he becomes violent, with disastrous consequences.
It was challenging to create such intense drama for the main characters because they're usually romantic with each other.
I hope my readers will enjoy it, and give me their thoughts.

What motivated you to become an indie author?
I had a manuscript ready for a long time before I broached the idea of self-publishing as an Indie Author. The learning curve for digital publishing was very steep until I discovered Smashwords, and how simple it was to have extended distribution to other retailers.
I spent an entire weekend and emerged with a book published and on sale.
It was a pivotal moment in my writing career.
Now I publish one book every month. I enjoy writing so much I set up BinnsCagneyPublishing and Design Co to encourage new Authors to self-publish.

How has Smashwords contributed to your success?
From the get go, Smashwords has metaphorically held my hand through the entire digital publishing process. Without any assistance I've been able to produce high quality digital books on many platforms for eBook readers including Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble Nook, and Canada's Kobo reader.

What is the greatest joy of writing for you?
I especially enjoy creating high suspense and drama. Keeping the readers guessing what will happen next. Unlike a movie, readers have to get to the next part of the plot over several days' reading.
The build up of suspenseful story telling is the real skill.
Once the reader cares about whether the characters survive the explosion, or manage to escape from the serial killer hopefully goes a long way to their enjoyment of my books. I certainly hope so!

What do your fans mean to you?
My fans mean the world to me. I get so many messages on Facebook and on my blog from fans who love NYPD's Detective Sergeant Finkel Macaulay and the FBI's Supervisory Special Agent Nick Benson, and often ask me if they will stay together!
It helps that Finkel and Nick are so sexy and passionate, and enjoy being physical with each other.
I introduced a new character, Mike Sabrini, who is a Crime Scene Investigator who becomes infatuated with Finkel, and the fans went wild !
Some of them told me in no uncertain terms that Finkel belongs with Nick !
I found it so incredible that my fans are already so invested in my characters.
I love to hear from fans at my Facebook Page Author Ruby Binns-Cagney because it's important to me to connect with them, and give them the enjoyment of my books they seek.

What are you working on next?
I've just finished writing "1-8-7 Homicide New York" which is available for Pre-Order at Smashwords, and will be published on September 7.
The next book in the 'Detective Macaulay Homicide Case' series is called '5th Avenue Murder' and is available in twelve languages, and you can sample it at Amazon.com soon!
In fact, all my books are available for sampling at Smashwords.com at anytime.

Books by This Author


Pre-release — available September 7, 2013. Price: $2.99 USD. Approx. 56,550 words. Language: American English. Category: Fiction.
From The Author of 'Pandora's Box' and 'The Detective Macaulay Murders Trilogy' comes a thriller with a tantalizing twist. Divorce Attorney Helena Webster-Rumholdt is assaulted in Central Park while out on a run. A victim's body is found in Central Park's Lake and NYPD's Detective Finkel Macaulay is called in to investigate.

Price: $3.99 USD. Approx. 57,690 words. Language: English. Published on July 27, 2013. Category: Fiction.
NYPD Detective Finkel Macaulay takes on a Homicide case which brings death to her door. When one of their own is abducted, the NYPD and FBI scramble to capture him. As she pursues the killer,Finkel has to make a decision which could cost her everything she ever wanted.

Price: $2.99 USD. Approx. 25,950 words. Language: English. Published on June 29, 2013. Category: Fiction.
A grisly Homicide case leaves Detective Macaulay's life changed forever. One Homicide Detective. One FBI Special Agent. One suspect.One mysterious box. Two corpses. As one man's impulse to kill is challenged, his horrifying grip on a small town is threatened. Detective Macaulay's determination to stop him comes with unforeseen risk.

Price: $1.99 USD. Approx. 11,430 words. Language: English. Published on May 16, 2013. Category: Fiction.
***IT’S FINALLY HERE! The 1st book in the Detective Macaulay Murders Trilogy!!*** Flirty, Frisky, Frantic and Frightening: "One For The Money" is just plain thrilling!!!! The Detective Macaulay Murders Trilogy brings you sizzle and sleuth-boggling murder, chaos and mayhem. Overview of One For The Money: One corpse. One manhunt. One chance for Macaulay to trap a sadist. The countdown begins.

Price: $1.99 USD. Approx. 18,520 words. Language: English. Published on May 22, 2013. Category: Fiction.
**IT’S HERE! The 2nd book in the Detective Macaulay Murders Trilogy!!*** Fast paced, sexy, and exciting !!!! The Detective Macaulay Murders Trilogy picks up the pace - A relentless sadist has put a target on Detective Macaulay's back. The clock is ticking. Overview of Lay Lady Lay: One dead blonde. One bomb. One sadist. Detective Macaulay is not about to quit.

Price: $1.99 USD. Approx. 28,710 words. Language: English. Published on June 9, 2013. Category: Fiction.
****The FBI and NYPD's hunt for Bo Harknett intensifies to its thrilling climax. ****** One life hangs in the balance. One chance. Time is running out. Will Detective Macaulay get there in time to capture Harknett?

Price: $0.99 USD. Approx. 10,340 words. Language: English. Published on April 17, 2013. Category: Nonfiction.
How do you achieve an ultimate level of intimacy which lasts, deepens and grows? When you are in a happy, passionate relationship, you want it to last. Inevitably, the passion cools and soon fades. "Ultimate Intimacy" has expert relationship advice which guides you towards new ways to develop real intimacy, which serve as a foundation you can build the crucial components of intimacy upon.

Price: $1.97 USD. Approx. 5,150 words. Language: English. Published on February 19, 2013. Category: Nonfiction.
What do you want your relationship to mean to you? What is it about love that attracts you to it? How can you grow as a couple once you are in love? These are questions which are answered in 'All About Love-A Guide To Evolving Relationships' the exciting new book from Ruby Binns-Cagney, Expert Relationship Coach.

Price: $1.99 USD. Approx. 9,480 words. Language: English. Published on January 31, 2013. Category: Nonfiction.
'Love Over 40' is the essential guide for women, and anyone aged 40 or over who wants to find lasting love, whether you have just ended a relationship or marriage, or have not dated for some time.This valuable self help book is written by relationship expert Ruby Binns-Cagney, who has Coached thousands of clients to help them find real lasting love. A great reference guide for modern dating.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note - any comment you leave requires approval prior to being shown.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.